COVID-19 Update – Our office is open.
Amid the rapid progression of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the disruptions it has caused, HIP Law Firm is committed to continue providing the essential legal services necessary to protect the interests of our clients and community and will remain open for business. Please note, however, some staff will be working from home from time to time. Accordingly, there may be slight delays completing some projects and in responding to your communications, but we promise to be as diligent as ever in meeting your legal needs. Urgent in person appointments are available, however, non-essential client meetings will be conducted over the phone or via video conferencing. Client payments can be made on our website at
Our lobby hours during this time are 9:00am – 4:00pm, Monday – Friday.

Toll-free: 877-391-5319

Hanis Irvine Prothero, PLLC - Criminal Defense
Call Our Firm Today
Contact our Firm

Defying family law ruling is prosecutable crime

| Mar 2, 2020 | Family Law |

Winter is nearly over, and with spring on the horizon, parents are thinking of all the fun things they can do with their young children when warmer weather returns. Spending time with one’s children is certainly important, but a person needs to be aware that, in situations in which an order from a court of family law is in place, a parent cannot just make other arrangements. A Washington mother is now facing criminal charges for doing just that. 

The woman is believed to have taken her 3-year-old daughter with her somewhere. Unfortunately, a court order states that she is not the child’s custodial parent and has therefore broken the law. An Amber Alert has been issued in Washington state as authorities try to locate the pair. 

The woman apparently struggles with drug addiction and is not thought to have a permanent residence. A court order forbid her from having physical contact with the child. Even if she is taking good care of her daughter, she is facing criminal charges for violating the court order. 

If a Washington parent needs to establish, modify or enforce a child custody order or similar matter of family law, he or she might want a professional to help. Many parents prefer to consult an attorney in such situations. An attorney can help a parent navigate the legal system and make sure that any parenting decisions are made in compliance with the law, protecting children and parents from frightening scenarios like allegations of kidnapping or abuse. 


FindLaw Network

Get Help Today
Send us an Email

Hanis Irvine Prothero, PLLC
6703 S. 234th Street, Suite 300
Kent, WA 98032

Toll Free: 877-391-5319
Phone: 253-520-5000
Fax: 253-893-5007
Kent Law Office Map

Review Us